Fire Safety Too Important to Ignore

Fire Southwark Council are in the dock with 22 charges brought against them by the London fire brigade after a fire in 2009 at Lakanal House caused the death of 6 people 3 women and 3 children.

Is it ever acceptable to take a casual approach to fire health and safety when so many lives can be destroyed?

Among the issues which crop up every time there is a fire, is having blankets and clothes left too close to or on top of electrical heaters. Sometimes the heaters are placed too close to armchairs, sofas or beds.  In 2016, 142 fires were caused by electrical heaters with 31 injuries and 1 death. Advice from the assistant commissioner for Fire Safety at London Fire Brigade is “ensure portable heaters are standing upright and kept well away from clothes, curtains or furniture.”

Over two thirds of fatal fires involving heaters are caused by clothing or furniture being too close.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s