When it comes to health and safety most of us are inclined to groan.
It seems like a never ending homily of do’s and don’ts sent to make our lives a scary misery. But here’s a nasty story which is why we will always have to put up with it.
A fine totalling £42 966 has been landed on a care home company which had no fire risk assessment, blocked fire escapes with combustible materials, wedged fire doors open and failed to keep fire equipment in working order.
The result of this was a blaze at a residential care home in Penge which left an elderly woman seriously injured. At 2 Rivers we recommend Cardinus Risk management to all our clients. Having the correct assessments and policies in place keeps all of us on the right side of the law, but more importantly, saves lives.
Of other issues on H&S key figures for Great Britain:
- 1.3 million working people suffered from a work related illness
- 2515 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures – 2014
- 144 workers were killed at work
- 72 702 other injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 621 000 injuries occurred at work according to the Labour Force Survey
- 30.4 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
- £14.1 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2014/15)
These put the issue in perspective.